UNCCD Consultation aimed at organizing a NGO consultation workshop in Ahmedabad for COP-8 meeting of UNCCD. Twenty one participants from different parts of the country participated in NGO consultation workshop. Some of the important observation that group felt were as follows:-
1. The vision statement needs to be more positive and should consider desertification beyond drought.
2. The integrity of all affected ecosystems needs to be maintained.
3. There is a tremendous technical resource available in developing countries and there is scope for lateral sharing of experiences among the developing countries.
4. World over communities have developed indigenous and traditional knowledge including traditional practices of water harvesting needs to be effectively used as part of global strategy.
5. There is need to tap various opportunities like arts and crafts in the vulnerable region for livelihood security.
A booklet Combating Desertification: The Indian Experience was also developed, designed and printed for MoEF to share at the COP 8 meeting.
Centre for Environment Education
Nehru Foundation for Development
Tel: 079 - 26858002 to 8009
Fax: 079 - 26858010
Centre of Excellence, Supported by Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India